"The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one is with another who shares the same books." ~ Katherine Mansfield

Monday, February 12, 2018

"Benjamin Franklin"

 An American Life 

by Walter Isaacson




This book was full of information both historical and biographical and I assume chronicled Benjamin's life of duplicity. This man was a brilliant inventor, scientist, and writer, however, his ethics, come into question. Was he a Christian? Only in the broadest sense of the word. He was a womanizer and his love for his children went by the wayside when others claimed his affection. So without looking at his relationships, you could say he did deserve to be on the $100 bill because of all he did (or didn't do) for the New American States. He did make the lives of people here easier with his inventions and his public projects which to this day are present in our everyday society. As to his absolute claim to fame, as a writer and signer of the Constitution, I am not sure he was even awake most of the time when our founding fathers were preparing it to be made a mandate. Anyway, I read most of it, I really don't care to read a book about someone so disloyal to his family and so large a book again! I welcome any comments. I can say I read a lot of historical information that I did not know before and that is a good thing.

No comments: